History of Care Net Pregnancy Services of the Treasure Coast
1989 to 2000
Care Net Pregnancy Services began as a God given vision by a group of concerned individuals who were
dedicated to the Sanctity of Human
Life and willing to make the sacrifices required to provide a viable
alternative to abortion.
- • Following the closing of a local abortion clinic some of the same people who picketed came together looking for a compassionate answer to unplanned pregnancies.
- • Appropriately it all began on Valentine's Day 1989 with a meeting with Executive Director of Alpha Care (now First Care in WPB) and Field Rep for the Christian Action Council (Care Net) in West Palm Beach.
- • The first informational meeting was held in April 1989 at Morningside Friends Church with more than 25 people attending. From this meeting a steering committee was formed.
- • The first meeting was held on July 6, 1989 and the vision to provide a CPC was officially underway.
- • The first Board of Directors, elected in October of 1989. Of special note, there were five churches represented in this first Board of Directors.
The name Crisis Pregnancy Services was chosen for the center.
- • The First Annual Walk-for-Life was held in April of 1990 at Langford Park in Jensen Beach with 150 walkers.
- • The Fall of that year also brought our first Annual Banquet held at the Ocean Village restaurant in Fort Pierce with 150 attending.
- • Finally, on January 7, 1991, Crisis Pregnancy Services officially opened its doors and our ministry began.
- • In 2000, the center's services had expanded to include Parenting Classes.
- • PACE (Post Abortion Counseling and Education) continued to prosper with Pam Durham and Karan Kalie as Volunteer Co-facilitator and a Men's PACE group led by Norman Kalie.
- • Volunteer training seminars now called Training to Minister Seminars had increased from 1 yearly to 3 each year.
- • In 1997 we began offering free ultrasounds for pregnancy confirmation and are currently scanning about 100 abortion-vulnerable women a year.
- • In an effort to be more unified and to better fulfill our mission, Crisis Pregnancy Services took on our national affiliate name, Care Net, in January 2000 becoming known as Care Net Pregnancy Services of the Treasure Coast.
2001 to 2008
Because pregnancy tests have become cheaper and more accessible in recent years, we recognized
a need to find new opportunities to interact with clients about their lifestyles.
- • Therefore, in 2004 we entered a memorandum of agreement with St. Lucie County Health Department whereby we offer HIV testing free of charge. Positive HIV clients are connected with the Health Department for treatment.
- • In early 2005 we added free Chlamydia and Gonorrhea testing through urine cultures.
- • In August of 2005 the Board of Directors approved hiring an Abstinence Director.
- • The Board has long had a goal to open a satellite center in Martin County. The work was completed and our Open House was May 19th, 2007.
2009 to 2013
In 2010, knowing that Abortion Recovery ministry needed more time than volunteers could give it, the Board
made the decision to hire our long time volunteer, Pam Durham, part time to give dedicated time to the
abortion recovery ministry.
- • The first decision was to rename the ministry Confidential Abortion Recovery Experience (CARE) and gave it a dedicated phone line and email that both go straight to Pam.
- • Classes increased to several taking place each week.
- • In 2012, the Port Salerno Center was relocated to downtown Stuart closer to the abortion vulnerable demographics.
- • In 2013 Ultrasound was added to the Stuart Center.
Vision for the Future
- • Our vision for this ministry is “A Center in every City.” We hope for the day when every city on the Treasure Coast is quickly accessible for a Pregnancy Resource Center.
- • Our future intention is to first purchase and pay for, an Administrative Center in Port St. Lucie.
- • Lastly, we look for the day when an RV can make quickly available ultrasounds the reality of life anywhere on the Treasure Coast.
CARE NET Pregnancy Services of the Treasure Coast is a Christian ministry whose mission is to defend life,
to meet physical, social and spiritual needs of those who may be experiencing a crisis pregnancy, to bring
healing and wholeness to lives traumatized by abortion, to present the gospel of Jesus Christ, and to challenge
our communities to adopt a godly view of sexuality and the sanctity of human life.